The very first thing that comes to our mind with the word wasp is the dangerous sting it carries. Being stung by a wasp is not only painful but may be life threatening for those who are allergic. If you see some wasps flying near your living area, there are 99.9 percent chances that their nest is somewhere close to or in your property.
The first thing you should do after identifying their presence is to take effective control measures otherwise you will witness massive increase in their population. Although they are non-aggressive in nature and sting when harmed but being insects, their understanding is different from humans. So, it will be better to get rid of them with the help of Advance Pest Control. In different geographies, different kind of wasps are found. After knowing their characteristics, it will be easy for you to identify them and take suitable control measures. Some of the most common categories are:
- Mud Daubers: The wasps of this category are of different colors such as orange, yellow with black markings and shiny brown or black. They measure 0.5 -1 inches and have long slim thread waist. They build globular and organ-pipe nests. Mud daubers and their larvae feed on fluids of insects and spiders, honeydew and plant nectar. They are not aggressive and their nest can be found in sheds, electric motors, under porch ceiling and other such protected places.
- Paper Wasps: Their color varies from dusty yellow to brown or black. Their length is generally 1.9-2.5 cm. They live in groups and therefore are difficult to control. It will be a good decision to hire some professionals to control them. They are called paper wasps because their nest appears to be made with paper like material. Their nest is umbrella-shaped and can be found under leaves, ledges or soil cavities.
- Hornets: Not only their name is dangerous, to control them is also dangerous and difficult. They measure 1.4 inches in length and are black colored with ivory markings. Night time is best to trap them because they are attracted to light. Nests of Hornets are large and can be easily found hanging from leaves or branches of trees. Of all the wasps, their sting is the most painful and dangerous because their sting contains large amount of acetylcholine.
- Cicada Killer Wasps: They measure 2 inches and have six pale red to orange legs. Their abdomen is black in color with yellow markings and the color of their wings is shaded brown. Their nests can be found in lawns, edges of concrete slabs, sandy areas and vegetated slopes. All these are high traffic areas. So, their presence can be annoying and intolerable.
- Yellow Jackets: Their size and appearance often creates confusion and people consider them bees. They measure 12 mm in length and have lance-like stingers with barbs. Their nest can be found in manmade structures, soil cavities, tree stumps, shrubs, trees, etc. These wasps and their larvae feed on proteins derived from meat, insects, fish along with sugar and carbohydrate from flower nectar, fruits and tree sap. They too can be dangerous because wherever they are present, their presence is in huge number.
How to Control Wasps?
There are many products available in market to control wasps but considering the danger from wasps, it is always better to hire some professionals like Advance Pest Control. The professional experts know exactly how to control each type of wasp.
The infested area should be properly sprayed so that when wasps come in contact with the insecticide, they die. You should avoid standing below their nest when spraying because they can target you.